At the start of every New year, We plan to do something new and make some new year resolutions. We follow that some days and a few weeks but at last all comes to square one. All resolutions go into the trash. Then also I want to force you to take some resolution this year again. At least you will live your new life for some days.
Make and Keep your New Year’s Resolution
I believe that there are three main reasons why people don’t keep their resolutions.
1) People make resolutions that are impossible to keep. So they set themselves up for failure upfront.
2) People do not create a plan of action to incorporate their resolutions into their lives.
3) People don’t take their resolutions seriously.
First, the key is to only make resolutions that you know you will keep. Act as if you don’t keep the resolution then you will be forced to go on Oprah and get yelled. I suggest that you make small, simple changes that you can incorporate into your life.
Nothing major, nothing big. Just start with small success and soon your small successes will turn into big results. For instance, when I lost 10 Kg of weight last year. my goal was not to lose such. It was simply to get in better shape and lose weight. If you already made an “impossible to keep” resolution then why not make a new one right now.
Turn your New year Resolution into Ritual
Once you create a New year’s resolution then you must turn your resolution into a ritual and make it part of your daily routine. For example, when I created my resolution, I didn’t start running 5 miles the first day.
I created a plan to ease into exercise. I decided I would be at the gym every morning at 7 am and I made a commitment to do one thing every day. I walked on the treadmill for thirty minutes. Then I did the same the next day.
The day after that I rode the exercise bike for 20 minutes. I did one simple form of exercise each day long enough to feel it but not so long I dreaded it. Eventually, my morning exercise became a habit.
It has to become a habit or else when things get crazy your resolution will be the first thing eliminated from your to-do list.
Lastly, you have to take your new year’s resolution seriously. It has to be as serious as a contract. Having attended law school for a year, I understand enough about contracts to be dangerous.
However, one thing I did learn was that if someone signs a contract and does not follow through then there will be consequences. It’s serious stuff. You must treat a contract with yourself in the same way. Make a New year’s resolution contract and stick to it.
Action Plan for New year Resolution
Here’s an action plan to help you to turn your resolution into your life.
1. Make a New year resolution if you haven’t already done so.
2. Decide how to incorporate your New year resolution into your life. Where does it fit? When can you absolutely commit? Then write out a one-sentence contract with yourself on a piece of paper.
I (your name) will (the action you will take) (during the hours of or when) (on the following days) For example, “I Baibhav Raj will work on writing articles every day for my site during the hours of 8pm to 10pm. Or,
“I Devyansh will eat fruit as part of my breakfast each morning Monday thru Saturday.”
3. Then add this schedule into your daily planner. If you don’t have one, buy one. Make an appointment with yourself and make it as important as a meeting with your boss or doctor.
4. Look at your calendar each night and commit to making your appointment and keeping your resolution
5. Also, cut out your one-sentence resolution contract and tape it to your bathroom mirror to remind you of your commitment.
New Year Promise to Yourself
Promises are not meant to break. A true person when makes a promise to anyone they always do whatever in their power to keep it. But when it comes to yourself, you must keep these New year promises made to yourself for your own good.
Life is not forever. You need to learn to enjoy your life and making it memorable so that you also will have some interesting stories for your grandkids. I am giving you a list of things you can make promises to yourself.
- Promise to forgive yourself for any mistake you have done earlier and start a fresh life again.
- Promise yourself to live life like you have this day only. Enjoy your life and do whatever you want (without hurting anyone).
- Think about yourself too. And care for yourself as you do to your loved ones.
- Expect less and accept more.
- Learn to fight with any problem you come with, Neve surrender.
- Turn your wound into Wisdom.
- Change your failure in a relationship into an opportunity to care for yourself with positivity.
- Make your body fit. So you won’t be dependent on your loved one to take care of you much.
- Never reject anything before experiencing it. Some will make your life and some will make experiences.
- Never Speak with any thought of hate, jealousy, anger, or insecurity.
- Never insult anyone or let them feel down because of you.
- Complain less and appreciate more.
- Never stop doing your best if also no one appreciates you.
- Create a sense of purpose-driven life instead of running with a blindfold.
- Share your knowledge and experiences with all people with whom you spend most of the time.
- Feel more and think less. Make your fear into an opportunity.
- Never get surrounded by people who act always buttering you. Surround with people who inspire you.
- Do not let yourself overthink anything. Overthinking is injurious to your life.
- Never force anyone to take your suggestions. Give your suggestions not your decisions.
- Promise to yourself to create the authenticity of yours. So, people can feel your truthfulness and know you are trustworthy.
- Promise to yourself that you will let go of any bad habit. Creat Good Passion instead of bad habits.
- Always improve yourself. Your future depends on your aspiration. Learn new things and gain new knowledge.
- Always praise someone for their good work. Make a habit of praising each day at least one person.
- Never complain to god for things you don’t have. You have all for what you make efforts. And start making more effort if you want anything more. Your well-being is in your hand. God is just a medium.
- Will do things because of which your next generation will feel proud. Think about what are you giving the next generation that will remind you of them.
Best wishes and Happy New Year 2021